St Catherines Articles

Article -

War Dead And Casualty Returns

War dead
It was customary for each regiment to keep separate rolls of the names of the dead for each major campaign.

Rolls for the major campaigns of the Victorian era can be found in the PRO record classes WO 25 and WO 32. Some of these have been published and can be consulted at the PRO in Kew and at military libraries.

Under civil registration, which began in 1837, the Army kept its own regimental registers of births, marriages and deaths. Those registers kept before 1881 are held by the General Register Office of England and Wales. After 1881 the registers were returned to their relevant General Register Office whether in England and Wales, Scotland or Ireland. The indexes to these registers can be searched in the FRC, in just the same way as other civil registration indexes.

War dead of the First World War
If your ancestor died or went missing presumed dead m the First World War a useful organisation to contact is the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. This is the organisation that maintains the graves all over the world of men who died in action fighting for the British and Commonwealth forces. The Commission has compiled a database of graves, and may be able to tell you where your ancestor is buried, and also his regiment and number.

Commonwealth War Graves Commission
2Marlow Road
Maidenhead Berkshire SL6 7DX
Telephone: 01628 634221

Page 1 of 4